What could be better this time of year than getting the family together to make cookies for the holidays? They’re easy, they’re fun, and oh yeah, they taste amazing! All you need is the cookie dough, some cookie cutters, and as many colored tubes of frosting as you can get your hands on, the possibilities are endless. If you don’t already have a traditional cookie recipe in use, here is a delectable, not to mention quick and easy, sugar cookie recipe that makes the perfect canvas for all those sugared-up works of art. Who doesn’t love decorating their own cookies?
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 cup white sugar 1 cup butter (softened at room temperature) 1 egg, lightly beaten (egg should be at room temperature) 3 Tablespoons half-and-half 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) .
2. Sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
3. Cut in butter and blend with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
4. With a fork, stir in lightly beaten egg, vanilla and half-and-half. Blend well with fork, then your hands to ensure thorough blending. Chill dough for one hour for easier rolling.
****If you are not rolling the dough, chill for 15 minutes then skip to step 6 for baking.
5. On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into shapes.
6. Place on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sugar or leave plain for decorating with icing.
7. Bake for 6 – 7 minutes, or until lightly brown.
Sugar cookies not really your cup of tea? Check out momswhothink.com for more kid-friendly holiday recipes and tips on how to make sure your cookies come out perfect every time. Enjoy the holidays!